Posted by: michelenel | 29 May, 2014

I’ve been buzy…..

As I am on holiday this week I decided that at least some of my time must be devoted to sewing.  Sew far I have not done very well with only a pair of boy’s shorts and a boy’s bow tie completed and it is already Thursday – how did that happen so quickly!!!

Anyway, I went to bed last night determined to make a better effort the next day and I had quite a long list of projects to choose from but settled on this…..

IMG_0399

Can you tell what it is?  Okay, it may look like a shirt or a jacket but

it is in fact this…..

IMG_0404

…..a beekeeper’s jacket and veil.

Of course it is – what else would one spend their hard-earned holidays making???  Now it may seem like a strange project but it was urgently needed by our son who started a beekeeping course with his dad a few weeks ago.  We have one jacket and veil that came with the new beehive but obviously two large men do not fit into one suit and not wanting either of my boy’s to take any chances it was one of those things that just had to be done and the fact that we do not have enough money to buy another suit is what prompted me to make one instead.

Who of you has a stash?  Come on, don’t be embarrassed, put up your hand I promise I won’t tell your hubby.

Well, if I am perfectly honest I have to admit that I have quite a decent stash; just how amazing I probably did not realise until I decided to make an obscure project like a beekeepers suit and I didn’t have to go out and buy a single solitary thing!  Nope, not a button, velcro, netting, boning, fabric or anything else – now THAT is an impressive stash!

To make my beekeepers suit I took two of hubby’s old work shirts, placed them inside each other to give slightly more protection, cut off the collars and cuffs and replaced the cuffs with a contrast tube for elastic – we don’t want any of the little critters climbing up a sleeve!  The buttonhole band was replaced with velcro and the hem rolled up a little more to form a casing for elastic.  A patch in the contrast makes a nifty little pocket and at the same time covers over the old company logo; and another larger pocket for beekeeping tools was added.

With the jacket done I set my sights on a beekeepers veil.  The one hubby has was easy enough to copy and using some sturdier fabric I created a yoke to attach the veil to the jacket and the back of the veil.  I had to make do with some black tulle left over from a petticoat for the veil itself but I would have preferred a slightly stronger netting and if it tears I will invest in some in the future.

All that is left to do is sew some velcro around the jacket and the veils yoke and I will be done.  A great day’s work without spending a penny has got to be celebrated and it is a double bonus that I used up just a teeny, tiny bit of my hoard!

IMG_0401 IMG_0405 IMG_0407

Now get a move on bees, I need some honey to make the mead I promised hubby!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: